I served this delicious dessert at a dinner party recently and as you can imagine it went down a treat. With a chocolatey biscuit base and ice cream and fudge filling it never fails to be a crowd pleaser.
For those chocolate fiends here’s how to make it:
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 500ml tub of vanilla ice cream*
- 500ml tub of chocolate ice cream*
(*Carte D’Or ice cream is great to use)
Chocolate Biscuit Base
- 85g cold butter, cut into pieces
- 170g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 85g dark brown sugar
- 150g plain chocolate (at least 50% cocoa)
- 142ml pot whipping cream
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1.4 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g icing sugar
- Line the base of a 20cm loose-bottomed tart tin with butter.
- To make the fudge sauce, place chocolate, cream and golden syrup in a small pan and heat gently until melted. Stir in the vanilla extract and icing sugar. Leave on the side to cool.
- Heat the oven to 170C (fan). For the biscuit base rub the butter, flour, cocoa powder and sugar together until they resemble breadcrumbs. Press them into the base and sides of the tart tin. Cover with greaseproof paper and weigh down with baking beans. Bake for 8-10 minutes until just set. Leave to cool.
- To build the pie, spread 1/2 the cooled fudge sauce over the base of the tart. Spoon the chocolate ice cream over the sauce then cover with a layer of vanilla ice cream. Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Once the ice cream is completely firm spread the rest of the fudge sauce over the top. Freeze until firm.
- An hour before serving, loosen around the edge of the pie with a thin knife. Place in the fridge to soften until ready to eat.