These yummy granadilla cupcakes were inspired by a recipe I found in a South African cookbook. The sweet and tangy taste of granadilla, the South African name for passion fruit, compliments the simple vanilla sponge. They smell and taste delicious!
So here’s how: (serves 12)
- 150g plain flour
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- tsp of vanilla extract
- 120ml whole milk
- pulp of 6 passion fruit
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- pulp of 4 passion fruit
- Pre-heat oven to 170C and line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Mix flour, butter, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Slowly pour half the milk into the mixture until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix the rest of the milk, egg and passion fruit.
- Add to flour mixture until well blended and smooth.
- Spoon into cupcake cases until two thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Blend icing sugar, butter and passion fruit together until light and fluffy.
- Remove cupcakes from tin and cool on wire rack.
- Ice cupcakes using a pallet knife once completely cooled.
Your little bit of South Africa!