Pink Vanilla Syrup Cupcakes

IMG_3411

I know this is probably not a very helpful blog for those of you kickstarting your new year detox but a little bit of something sweet and delicious can’t hurt. Can it? After all, we need something to get us through the longest, darkest month of the year.

I try and live by an 80-20 rule. 80% of the time I eat fresh, healthy food whilst the other 20% is reserved for those moments of indulgence. Life is far too short to starve yourself of the food you enjoy but of course its all about moderation. Obviously I don’t eat cupcakes everyday but every so often they are a welcome treat. What could be better than sitting down with friends, a mug of tea and a big, fat, scrummy cupcake?

Here is the simplest of all my cupcake recipes for you to try. I recently made these for a friends birthday and I know she enjoyed them so you will too! Try and use real vanilla if you can (I know its a bit more expensive) but its the pure, simple flavours that make these so delicious.

IMG_3404

 

Makes 12

  • 100g butter
  • 100g caster sugar
  • seeds of 1/4 vanilla pod
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g self-raising flour

For the Vanilla Syrup

  • 75ml water
  • 75g caster sugar
  • seeds of 1/2 vanilla pod

Pink Vanilla Icing

  • 100g butter
  • 300g icing sugar
  • seeds of 1/4 vanilla pod
  • a few drops of pink food colouring

IMG_3406

  1. Preheat oven to 175C (155C fan) and line a cupcake tray with paper cases
  2. Mix sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla together
  3. Sift in flour and mix until well combined
  4. Spoon into cases until two thirds full and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown
  5. Whilst the cakes are in the oven bring to the boil sugar, water and vanilla to make syrup
  6. Leave cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes before brush over the top with syrup until it soaks in
  7. For the icing mix together all ingredients until well combined and smooth
  8. Use a piping bag to decorate or equally use a large knife

IMG_3407

I decorated them with The Real Flower Company Floral Discs to make them look extra special…

IMG_3410

IMG_3412

…and popped one in a little box for her. What better way to say Happy Birthday!

IMG_3413

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s